1977….Wow! A lot of things happened 40 years ago:
- Elvis Presley performed in his last concert in June and died in his home in Memphis, two months later.
- Jimmy Carter was inaugurated as the 39th President.
- Fleetwood Mac released their Rumours album.
- Led Zeppelin played in their last USA concert.
- Rocky won an Oscar for best picture.
- Karen Lund and Terry Carlson got married.
Many more things happened over the next 40 years:
- In 1980, not only did Mt. Saint Helens erupt but my beautiful bride also erupted, giving birth to our first child…Katie Lee.
- Dianna wasn’t the only princess to capture the hearts of millions around the world when she married Prince Charles in 1981. Jaymi Marie was born capturing the hearts of both her parents.
- In 1982 the Epcot theme park opens in Disney World and Karen and I open our heart to receive Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior.
- M*A*S*H* the T.V. series ends in 1983 after 11 seasons and 251 episodes. Karen is instrumental in bringing the MOPS (Mothers Of Preschoolers) program to Camano Chapel which has successfully lasted for 34 years & counting. MOPS has encouraged and inspired tens of thousands of mothers around the world with Godly insight.
- In 1984, Michael Jackson moonwalked for the first time at the MTV music awards. That was nothing compared to the entrance our son, Michael Keith, made as he burst onto the scene in September of that year.
- March 18, 1990 – The largest art theft in U.S. history occurs in Boston, Massachusetts, when two thieves posing as policemen abscond twelve paintings worth an estimated $100-200 million from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. In November of 1990 a hundred-year flood swallowed up our home. We didn’t return to our home until December of 1991. Our kids thought it was a big adventure and still, to this day, remember that year as having the best memories of their childhood.
- Bill Clinton became President in 1992 and Karen became very sick. After many tests, a dentist discovers she has mercury poisoning. She has to quit her ministry with MOPS and begins a long and painful journey down the road of dental procedures and chronic pain.
- Between 1989 and 2002, Nintendo begins selling the Gameboy, U.S. retail giant Montgomery Ward announces it is going out of business after 128 years and Charles M. Schultz, the creator of the Peanuts comic strip passed away. Also during that time, Karen and I coach and attend many basketball, baseball, volleyball, tennis games and matches and school plays; participate in and plan many field trips, birthday parties, sleep-overs and Camano Chapel youth group functions. We cry as we watch Katie, Jaymi and Michael graduate from High School and begin college.
- Between 2002 and 2017, the final episode of Friends appears on NBC, BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Disaster in the gulf of Mexico leaves gulf beaches / fishing and the shellfish industry reeling, and Donald Trump becomes the 45th President of the United States. Also, Katie, Jaymi and Michael marry Jason, Matt and Signe. Our grandkids: Logan, Caleb, Jacob, Maya, Jonathan, Brooklyn, Joshua, Esther, Hannah and Daniel are born. Karen and I both publish two books and today Karen and I celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary.
Thank you Karen for 40 wonderful years of marriage. Your the best!